You can choose from working with children, building projects, visiting patients affected by HIV/AIDS, sport programs with children affected by HIV/AIDS, vocational training programs with young adults, teaching, creative arts and there is always potential for you to find and create your own volunteering experience.
We run volunteer programs from Mid January - Mid December. This is a self-tailored program where you get to decide how long you'd like to stay and where you would like to spend your time. You can stay for as long as you like, but we require you give a minimum commitment of 2 weeks.
You do not necessarily need to have specialised skills to volunteer with Ujamaa Hostel, however if you do have particular skills we would very much like to hear about them. Many of our projects can use expertise in a range of different areas, so no skill will go unused!
To register as a Volunteer with Ujamaa Hostel we require you to pay a one-off non-refundable application fee of US$50. This will be charged once you have confirmed your stay. This money is used to secure your booking, cover the costs of administration and organisation with the projects.
The only other cost involved is for your accommodation. Please see our "Rates" page for more info.
You will also need to pay non-refundable 50% deposit for your accommodation costs.
What you get for your Money
- A Pre-Departure Guide with useful information to help you get ready for your trip
- A tour around Arusha so that you can get to know the town and also find all amenities such as banks, internet, supermarkets, post office, restaurants and bars.
- The opportunity to work with a selection of carefully picked and reputable local organisations
- A tour of all the projects as well as details of what volunteers are currently doing (and have previously done) so that you can decide how best to use your skills and where to spend your time
- Assistance from our Volunteer Coordinator who can help with any needs or concerns you have throughout your stay.
- Accommodation in a fun, clean and safe environment where you can hang out with other volunteers and travellers
- Breakfast and Dinner provided everyday with a range of Western Style and African meals. (Vegetarians are catered for)
- Communal lounge room with TV/DVD and a wide range of movies and books
- Friendly staff who are always willing to help out
- Large gardens to relax in with a view of Mt Meru
- 24hr Security and lockable draws for your personal items
- Hot showers
- Linen and mosquito nets on each bed (please bring your own towel)
- No curfews or limitations on how you spend your time (assuming that you are respectful and understanding of the local culture and of other volunteers)
- Free laundry daily
For details about what you can do and our current projects please go to our PROJECTS page!